Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Lvl 1-2.1

So as it has been more than a week since I've posted, (been busy working and Christmas shopping and such) I haven't had a chance yet to finish my MapleStory post (which will hopefully be done by tomorrow). I decided to take a moment and share some of my experiences gaming, as well as being a family man with 2 kids and a wife with all the gaming that I do.


I went into gaming really early in life, my parents had an Atari, and my grandparents had a Nintendo. Being born in the mid 80's at the turn of the video game era it seemed as if everyone had one. I remember my 2 first games I played was Tanks for the Atari and Mario Bros for the Nintendo. From there it was all down hill.

My parents bought us kids a Super Nintendo back in 93 and that was my first system that I owned. We had only one game for alot of years and that was the original Super Mario Bros for the SNES. When I  eventually moved to Abbotsford from the Kootenays I bought my very first PC and started my online gaming experiences.

My first MMO that I played was at the time called SpaceCowboys and was a FPSMMORPG that you flew in a ship the whole time. From there I went to World Of Warcraft and alot of other F2P MMO's.

Gaming has been a huge impact in my life. My wife and I when were dating played WoW religiously together. Now that the family has gotten bigger and a little later now in our lives she's taken up more,...productive hobbies Krystyl's Blog. When we first started dating we didn't live close to each other so we actually played MMO's together when we weren't able to see each other.

I've owned a few consoles as well, a Gamecuve, a PS2 which my wife and I played so much of that we broke and now we have a Wii. My son now is almost 6 and is starting to do a bunch of gaming himself. He started watching me play World of Warcraft as I am the leader of a raiding guild and have schedualed raids through out the week. He would watch and ask me questions of things that were happening.


I then gave him my old game boy and he started playing the Super Mario Bros which they adapted to the GBA. It's interesting that his first game is the same one that I had for my first console. A little nostalgic I guess. But he's not gotten into Plants VS Zombies as well. He doesn't play as much as he would like, but gets enough of it. There are also "games" for kids such as (if you have firefox) you can get Zoodles. It is a learning and free online program designed for kids to teach them as they play. There is also a User Interface for parents that allows you to take charge of what they are playing or watching. If you want them to do stuff with more letters change it more towards that, more math or numbers you can do that too.

I think video games are great for kids.

I'll let you think about that for a second. Now with all things, in moderation. They are great for hand - eye coordination. Cognitive and thinking skills, video games actually improve eyesight as well. They also introduce alot of problem solving as well. (Zelda and Portal are 2 great examples). Which helps them think out of the box.

Now I'm not saying I let my son sit in front of a console or computer screen as much as I do. I do however let him if he has done some reading or gone outside and played. I should take after my own words more than being a dictator, but this is instilled in me and I'm "trying" to improve?

I love gaming. I love my family, and am lucky enough to have a wife and family who accepts me and my gaming for what it is.

All I have to do now is wait till our 4 month old has big enough fingers to use WSAD and get us all World of Warcraft accounts to have family play time together.

That's all for now;

Ryeno Logging Off.

No comments:

Post a Comment